Thursday, October 23, 2014

Do you celebrate the small things?

image from learnmeditationonline.org


"I'm very good this week.  So far, I have perfect attendance in morning meditation class.", I enthusiastically told my friend over tea.

"Well, I am late today but I still came so kudos for me!", I added.

"What are you so happy about?  It's such a small thing.", she grunted.

"But, I celebrate small things!", I happily answered back.

I wasn't this bubbly person who sings for joy at the smallest sign of progress before.  I was this it's-all-about-the-end result kind of gal.

But, I realized that the path to self-development is a marathon- not a sprint.  If I'll only be happy when I reach my goal but too worn out and miserable during the race, I figured it's not worth it.

My monk friends from the retreat center always tell me, "Be happy now!"

It's such a simple statement yet it has so much depth.

How about you, what did you do today that's worth celebrating? 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment