Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Are you a referee or a wrestler?


image from learnmeditationonline.org


I sat with my Teacher early this morning.

I didn't tell Him what happened yesterday.  He instinctively knew what to say- as always.   

"Heaviness comes from sorrow", he explained.

"Sorrow comes from the vices of anger, lust, greed, attachment and ego",  he continued.

Now, I understand why I cannot stand the courtroom.  I still don't know why I had to be there though.

I did not raise my concern out loud.  Sensing my next question, He said, "How do you interact with people?  What do you give them?"

Then, it clicked in my head, in an atmosphere filled with sorrow, being irritated doesn't help.  If I remain stable in my peace though, then I help ease the heaviness.

Oopsie, I should have donated peace instead of ranting yesterday!

I think donating peace is like being a referee in a fight.  When the game becomes too intense and the rules are being bent, he intercedes and gives the two contenders some breathing space.

On the other hand, becoming influenced by the atmosphere is like participating in wrestling's royal rumble.

Next time, I encounter a similar scenario, I will remind myself that I have two choices: either be a referee or be part of the mess.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment