Wednesday, November 1, 2017

"Wala kang kaluluwa"


Let me translate that for you. 


You don't have a soul.


"So, what am I?", I asked wide-eyed and bewildered when my meditation teacher told me this.   


In my head, what I was really saying was, "Are you saying that I am nothing!!! How dare you! So, do I belong to the devil now?!"


You don't have a soul because you are a soul.

Now, I'm confused.  


She sensed my inner turmoil and  started to explain.


"All this time, you thought you were a body with a soul.  You see it's the other way around.  You are a soul with a body."


I still don't get it.  So, she asked me. "Can you please describe yourself?"


So, I rattled on...

I am Karen.
I am a daughter, a sister, a friend...
I work at  ____________.
I am from _____________.
I have _______________.


"See, you identify yourself with your false I.  You think that you are your position, your roles, your possessions.  All of these are connected to the body- all perishable when you leave your mortal coil. All false."


"So what is true then.", I queried.


"Then, answer this for me.  Think of your favorite part of nature and 3 adjectives which describe it... Now, describe yourself. Like a ______, I am..."


So, I answered.


Like a mountain.
I am strong.
I am stable.
I am giving.


image from wallpaperup.com



"See, that's who you truly are.", she replied beaming.





P.S.  This is lesson 1 in meditation.  I learned this 8 years ago.  Recently, Sister Tims of Center for Spiritual Learning, Tagaytay reminded me of this lesson when I sat in her lecture.



P.P.S.  Happy All Souls Days! Now, you know this day's for you, too. ;)  


meditation from Release Your Wings
  






2 comments:

  1. We all need these reminder - to identify with our core, with what we truly are. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayson, the world and the senses deceive us often times. We really have to remember to connect to our true selves- that part of us which is perfect & pure.

      Delete