Tuesday, May 22, 2018

How to be a princess without marrying a prince


image from huffingtonpost


An alternate title for this is, "How to be a prince without marrying a princess" (‘cause it can go either way). ;)


There’s a lot of talk about the recent royal wedding of late.  Well, I have news for you.  You can be a royal, too!


My Teacher tells me if I can truly understand and practice raja yoga meditation I can be the king (or queen) of my self and I can rule over my sense organs, and the faculties of my spirit: mind, intellect and nature (sankaras).  Then, I can be free of the clutches of the external or the chaos of the world. 

_________________________________________________________________________


“The first power you have to have
is power over yourself”
my Teacher always tells me.
_________________________________________________________________________


"Royalty simply means sovereignty- the ability to fully be in command of yourself.  Then, you can harness the second power- to serve."


"In essence, the function of royalty is to help others.”, my Teacher shares.


I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of a kingdom since I was young.  Little did I know that in the world of spirituality, my subjects are my eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hands and my physical body along with my inner world- mind, intellect and nature (sanskara).


Over the years, I’ve developed easy strategies to rule over my subjects:


image from lastlemon.com

1.  Let go of waste

Years ago, I’ve observed that my eyes like to watch stories of other people and other places.  Then, my mind wanders off to these visual imagery.  My weak intellect cannot discipline the childish mind so it lets it squander my time.  The lazy nature I have supports the idle mind and so the childish mind rules.


Eventually, I realized that it does not serve my spirit to let my eyes and mind rule me.  Gradually, I decreased listening to the wants of my mind which in turn made my intellect stronger.  The more I say no, the more the rational part of me (intellect) wins.  In the end, I was able to let go of my addiction.



image from chopra.com

2.  Start and end my day with a spiritual practice


“The early morning hours are the best time of the day.”, says my Teacher.

  
So, I start my day with a 30 minute meditation.  It has helped me stay grounded in the last 9 years.

  
In the same way that I take care of my physical body daily- bathing, eating and sleeping, my Teacher tells me it’s necessary to nurture my spirit every single day as well.

  
“Take a spiritual bath twice daily.”, my Teacher admonishes.

  
As such, I make it a point I wrap up the day with 30 minutes of meditation, as well.


  
image from ici.radio-canada
  
3.  Keep spaces for silence, inspiration or affirmation during the day     

  
It wasn’t easy for me to step into silence, at first.  Yes, I can keep my mouth shut in an instant but my intellect (the rational part of me) finds it hard to stop the chattering of the mind right away.  So initially, I relied on music to tie my mind and heart (also known as intellect) together.

  
When I feel weak, I remember Mulan, my favorite Disney princess.



When someone doesn’t like me, I play "Let it Be" in my head




And, India Arie's "I Am Light" can immediately transport me to that space beyond form and matter.
  


I actually have a playlist or affirmation list for all the times in between- the minutes in my day when my mind doesn’t need to focus or concentrate.

    … while taking a shower
    … while washing my hands
    … while cooking
    … while on the road
    … while walking 
    … while eating
    ... while waiting


I once clocked in all my times in between in a day.  I averaged 8 hours!  Therefore, I can never say I don’t have time to take care of my spirit.    

________________________________________________________________________

"The first power is the power 
to control the self.”, says my Teacher.

_________________________________________________________________________


That’s the first step to sovereignty, a.k.a. royalty, a.k.a. freedom.


So, I take mindful steps to be free from the dictates of others, demands of society, turbulence of the world and even the chaos of my own inner world.  How about you?  What price do you pay to be free? 



meditation by Release Your Wings











No comments:

Post a Comment