Thursday, April 19, 2018

Day 7: I chose sleep


Today, I had a choice between more yoga or more sleep.  
I chose sleep- not once but twice!  And, I’m very happy with my decision.

image from preraphaelitepaintings

I had a chance to go to my favorite meditation spot after the early morning class and afternoon nap time but I made a pass for it.  (All departments close down around here from 2pm-4pm for nap time. Super like!)     


Sometime last week, I woke up at dawn realizing that I love myself.  Finally!!!  


I’ve been working on it for years.  You see,  I can pass for a martyr.  It’s very natural for me to think of others first before myself.  Sometimes I volunteer too much, I don’t have a rest day in the week.  Or I help everyone else, I end up feeling very tired.  I can hyperfocus on a project, I lose myself in it.

image from strong4pole.com

So, I had to train myself to think of me- first and foremost.  This entails learning to say no to some people and projects, arranging my schedule so I have ample time for rest and pauses, and focusing on nurturing my spirit above all.  


Also, I created a new habit of putting me first- even if other people do not approve of it.  (This was difficult for me 'cause I'm a pleaser).  


Choosing sleep over yoga is not the popular choice in a university for meditation.  I did not come 3,198 miles to simply sleep.  But, today it is choice that says that I love myself and I choose my well-being over being liked.    



meditation by Release Your Wings













No comments:

Post a Comment