Friday, April 13, 2018

Day 1: The Market



I spent almost the whole day inside the dormitory in Pandav Bhawan, Delhi- finishing a book I brought with me for the journey.  Some people might find it weird that I went all the way to India to camp inside a room curled in a book. 

________________________________________________

Well, I like taking pauses during the trip 
to simply relax and do what I want.    
________________________________________________


If it were up to me, I would simply stay inside the Brahma Kumaris compound the rest of the day but this time I’m with Sister Nory, a fellow meditation student from the Philippines.  It was her first time in Delhi.  Today, I ought to show her the market at least.


photo by Nory San Juan


So, after I spent the whole morning and early afternoon reading, we walked 3 blocks to the market.  It was like the typical "tiangge" back home (Philippines)- crowded, noisy, and flashy.  The only difference was that people with deep set eyes and pointed nose peppered the streets (stressing the fact that yes, I am in India). 


Boutiques filled the blocks and merchandises lined the sidewalks- colorful Indian sarees, textiles, dresses, scarfs, shoes with pointed tips, intricate jewelries, bags, and all sorts of trinkets.



image from masspuller.com


We walked for probably 8 blocks of rows and rows of bright merchandises- most of which adorned with gold or silver or intricate patterns.  

________________________________________________ 

But there is nothing I want to buy for myself.
________________________________________________


image from masspuller.com

I heard a story about the great philosopher Socrates stopping by a shop window every day for weeks.  One day, the shop owner feeling sorry for the poor philosopher went out of the shop and told him, “Sir, what is it that you want?  I will give it to you for free.”


Socrates looked quizzically at the shop owner and replied, “I pass here daily to look at all the things I don’t need.”


Today, I can say the same.





meditation by Release Your Wings






No comments:

Post a Comment