Saturday, April 14, 2018

Day 2: The Taj & I

photo by Nory San Juan


I've been to India eight times but I've never been to Taj Mahal- until this day.

It stands tall and magnificent under the noon sky- it's pristine white marble coating glimmering in the sun.

This masterpiece of a building was Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan's grand gesture to his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal.  

It looks like a majestic palace in every way but it is a mausoleum.  I'm thinking, "It would have been more sensible if the emperor built a palace for his queen when she was still alive."   (But then again, I don't know Emperor Shah Jahan or his culture.)

I don't want to research his reasons though.  What the Taj Mahal inspires me to do is to build a grand monument for myself as well- one that is spiritual so it can last forever.

I will take Taj Mahal's best practices in this feat:


photo by Nory San Juan

1.  Build on solid ground

The Taj Mahal is an architectural wonder because it has stood through 365 years despite the fact that it lies near a river.  The riverbank sand was stabilized by a well foundation.  According to Archihunger, "It is built on mahogany post foundations sunk into wells fed by the Yamuna River".  

Now, I ask myself how strong is my foundation and how firmly do I stand on my truth?   




photo by Nory San Juan

2.  Space, space and more space

The Taj Mahal is situated in a vast Mughal garden that encompasses nearly 17 hectares, according to UNESCO.  It is considered an architectural beauty because of the "rhythmic combination of solids and voids, concave and convex, and light and shadow."

This leads me to ask, "Do I create spaces for stillness and growth? Is there a rhythmic balance in my life?"   
  



photo by Nory San Juan

3.  Adorn it with precious stones


According to History.com, "the mausoleum was constructed of white marble inlaid with semi-precious stones forming intricate designs in a technique known as pietra dura."


My Teacher in meditation always reminds me to play with jewels of knowledge and be like a mythical swan who only picks up pearls (goodness of others).  So I ask myself,  "How many spiritual jewels have I collected?"


How about you?  Is there any place or piece of art which has a spiritual significance for you?



meditation by Release Your Wings

  
  


No comments:

Post a Comment