Sunday, May 3, 2015

On the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight

image from http://www.telegraph.co.uk


She's the most unlikely Pacquiao fan.  She is way past her 60's, with hair always kept in a tight bun. Think of the quintessential principal stereotype, then you have a picture of her.  Wait, she is a principal!

"I love his determination!", she quips while she watches a Pacquiao-Mayweather promotional video.

De La Hoya, in the clip says, "He is a fighter who never stops throwing punches".

A Filipino-American relates, "Manny Pacquiao is our national hero this time around."

"What makes him a hero?", I ask.

Manny Pacquiao answers my question during his conference prior to this Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, "I came from nothing...".  However, at present, he is hailed as a boxing superstar and an icon recognized the world over.

His story is that of a poor boy from a small province who pushed himself to the top by winning one boxing match after another.  His tale is an inspiration to many, especially to most of his countrymen who live in dire poverty.

I watched his fight today and marvelled how he can take so many punches and yet remain standing.  I saw too how quickly he throws powerful punches and combinations with his hands and how he danced with his feet in the ring.  His why was definitely bigger than his opponent.  "I'm fighting for my country.", says his song.

Today, I learn about the heart of a hero.  A hero is one who fights the good fight.  One who can inspire others by simply being true to who he really is.  A hero gives his all for something bigger than himself.

"Pacquiao is my winner.", says the unlikely Pacquiao fan.  Ask anyone from the Philippines and I think you'll get the same response despite his lost today.

My question now is, how many people can call you their hero?

Ok, let's simplify it a bit, can you call yourself a hero?


P.S.  Please know that when I say 'you', I'm addressing myself, too.





No comments:

Post a Comment