Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Know thy enemy

“If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.”
                                                                                                          ― Sun TzuThe Art of War


I just came from battle- not a physical one or the virtual online games (I find it boring and senseless) but from some internal struggle.

I did say before that it is inevitable on the path of self-development.  Whether I like it or not, I really have to confront my dark side (I know it sounds eerie but it's true.).  What I've found out of late is that the enemy also hides behind beautiful masks.

Taking Sun Tzu's advice, I 've unmasked my enemies:

image from toonpool.com


1.  The Time Thief: The television
     Other forms: on-line streaming, on-line games, videos, youtube
     Lure: "Time to take a break from your busy schedule, come sit with me for a while"
     Effect: Makes me brain-dead
     Steals: My Time


image from www.hknet.org


2.  The Mindnapper - The cellphone and other gadgets
     Other forms: facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest and other social media apps
     Lure: "Hey, look at the interesting things other people are doing!"
     Effect: It distracts me with entertainment & information I don't really need.
     Steals: My Mind


                                                       image from amazonaws.com
3.  Time Space Warp- The bed
     Other forms: vacations, frequent naps, oversleeping, stalling, excuses
     Lure: "You need to rest."
     Effect: It lulls me in deep slumber so I can escape reality.
     Steals: My Present and ultimately my Future


I'm not saying it's detrimental to sleep, go on vacation or use the phone and other facilities. What I observe in myself though is that I run to these things all too often whenever I'm afraid or escaping my truth. (Thank heavens, I've killed my addiction!)  But, just when I've thought I've slayed my monsters, they keep on challenging me again and again.  They are like the Hydra of Greek mythology whose head multiplies when slashed.


I still believe that the enemy lies within but these illusions trigger my old bad habits and patterns.


How about you, do you know what your triggers are?


P.S. I feel that all of these triggers steal my time, my mind, my present & my future when used indiscriminately.



video from easymeditation







No comments:

Post a Comment