Saturday, November 3, 2018

On finding balance


“Your eyes look tired”, a close friend told me.

“I am tired”, I confided.

You see I’ve been taking care of a baby in the last 5 months and it’s taking all of my time (and resources). 

To be honest, I hardly have time for myself these days.

I have to attend to the baby- before work, after work & almost all of my free time.  This one is so needy- I’ve been giving up my me-time, exercise, sleep and (sometimes) even eating for it.

I am very very (twice for emphasis) excited about it though.  It has always been my dream to bring the arts and prevocational skills to SPED students in the public school.  Here, take a look ...     

Chef Nory San Juan teaching chocolate making
Theatre actor and director Karl Jingco teaching creative theatre
Music coach Monique Pereda with her students

Sindaw Dance Company's Rod Valencia teaching dance
Artist Raisa Perez teaching visual arts

I have a tendency to lose myself in projects that I love though.  If this is gambling- I’m all in.  If it’s war, I’m most likely the suicide bomber (a personality test I once took affirms this).   

So, I sat with myself and drafted some non-negotiables when I sensed that I’m getting off-balanced. 


1. Meditate in the early morning and 
before sleeping


I never like rushing into the day.  You know those days when you miss your alarm, run like crazy through your morning routine and rush out of the house in a frenzy. 


So, I told myself, “Hey, no matter how busy you are and whatever happens (even if hell breaks loose)- sit down for meditation to start and end the day”.


At times, things really get topsy-turvy during the day but when I start my day right I don’t get fazed. 


“Think of the highlights of your day- moments and situations worth celebrating before you cap the night.”, adviced a senior yogi.


True enough, when I clear my head and think of things worth celebrating before sleeping, I wake up refreshed and alert in the morning.




2. Take care of myself during 
my times-in-between

I don’t have the luxury of time these days.  So, I make sure I use my times-in-between very wisely.  I meditate during bath times and commutes.  I listen to classes while washing the dishes or in the rare times that I cook.  I do moving meditation during yin or vinyasa yoga class or walks.


3. Have a date with myself 
at least once a week

I’ve always enjoyed my company. I really like talking to myself over coffee or tea. So, when I can squeeze in a break or when things get rough, I sneak out for a quick chit-chat with myself. 

Lately, my self-talk has been positive. “You can do it!” or “You’re almost there”, my inner voice tells me whenever we talk about the project.  (It hasn’t always been like that though. I guess, nurturing my spirit is finally paying off).  Sometimes, I just check-in to see what I feel.  And there are moments when I just sit quietly- enjoying the silence and doing nothing.    

Recently, I learned that when things get tough, the tough gets going by taking regular time out (no many how short) to take care of the self.

If you want to learn how to take care of yourself too or how to meditate, a visiting senior yogi based in Canada might be of help.


Register here for her FREE TALK IN MAKATI






Register here for her FREE TALK IN QUEZON CITY














No comments:

Post a Comment